Variations among short and long column
This construction video tutorial is created on the topic of RCC design and drawing. By going through this video, one will learn the variations among short column and long column.
Given below, the differences among short and long column:-
1) A column is treated as short when the proportion of effective length to its lateral dimension is not more than or equivalent to 12.
Whereas, A column is treated as long when the proportion of effective length of column to its lowest lateral dimension is in excess of 12.
2) The proportion of effective length of a short column to its radius of gyration (the allocation of cross sectional area in a column around its centroidal axis) is not more than or equivalent to 40.
Whereas, the proportion of effective length concerning a long column to its lowest radius of gyration is in excess of 40.
3) Bulking (the spreading out of excavated material to a volume more than that of the excavation from which it originates) tendency of short column is very low.
Whereas, long and slender columns bulks conveniently.
4) The load bearing strength is extreme with regards to long column having the similar cross sectional area.
Whereas, the load bearing strength of a long column is less with regards to short column having similar cross-sectional area.
5) The collapsing of short column occurs due to crushing.
Whereas, the column normally collapses due to buckling.
Watch the following video tutorial to get more details.
Video Courtesy : WahThu E-Learning